Coach Dave has been training ice hockey players for a quarter century and has international credentials. As you can see from the list of selected accomplishments below he stands alone as the premier ice hockey dryland coach.
- Bachelors Degree in Physical Education (BPE) from the University of Manitoba
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Graduate of the Olympic Academy of Canada
- Level-4 Coaching Certification from USA Hockey
- Intermediate Coaching Level from Hockey Canada
- Club Coach certification from USA Weightlifting
- Level 2 Coaching certification Canadian Weightlifting Federation
- Certified Fitness Appraiser from the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
Coach Dave has also participated in several national internships.
- 1991-1992 Calgary Olympic Development Association High Altitude Camp, Haig Glacier, Alberta
- 1993, Canadian National Ski Team Development Centre, Canmore, Alberta
- 1990-1993, Manitoba Ski Team (assistant provincial coach internship)
Coach Dave’s book, DRYLAND, is the definitive book on the subject of dryland training for ice hockey players wanting to get to the next level.
He has published over 30 hockey articles in peer reviewed journals, magazines and on his blog. He has served on the editorial staff for several publications.
- Assistant Editor of the Performance Training Journal (see page 3)
- Strength & Conditioning Journal
- Performance Training Journal
- Not Pretty, Training and Conditioning Journal
- Searching for Symmetry, Training and Conditioning Journal
- The three journal articles I wrote for the S&C Journal are not available unless you are a member, but I have these as PDF files.
- Sled Dragging for Hockey Training, Strength & Conditioning Journal, June, 2003
- Five published articles in The Hockey & Skating Magazine (now defunct).
Coach Dave has been a strength and conditioning consultant for numerous ice hockey teams including Hockey Contractor Training Center, Magic Hockey, Banff Hockey Academy, Red River Nordic Ski Club, and the Manitoba Nordic Ski Team.
- 1990 to 2003: Optimal Performance. Client list included JP Lapointe, John Wilkie , Chera Ghidoni , Glenn Bond, and Shannon Dikkema.
- 1998-99: Training partner of Olympic Gold Medalist and World Champion Skeleton racer Duff Gibson.
- 1990-1993: Internships with the Manitoba Ski Team, Calgary Olympic Development Association and the National Ski Team Development Centre.
- 1999-2003: Strength & Conditioning Coach, The Banff Hockey Academy.
- 2000: 3M Coaching Award for work with minor hockey in Canada
- 2002-2003: Bow Valley Eagles (now Canmore Eagles), of the Alberta Junior A Hockey League
- 2003-present: DP Hockey
- 2004-2006: Hockey Strength & Conditioning Coach, Duquesne University
- 2005: Eastern Collegiate Coaching Staff of the Year for work with Duquesne University
- 2007-2009: Assistant Editor of the Performance Training Journal (still a peer reviewer)
- 2006- Present: Peer Reviewer for the Strength and Conditioning Journal
- 2008-2010: Founder and owner of Revolution Athletics in Orange, CA.
- 2012-Present: Founder and owner of Chalk Fitness in Placentia, CA.
Coach Dave was born and raised in Canada, and like a good Canadian boy he learned to play hockey at a young age. There was an outdoor rink 300 meters from his front door, and that’s where he and his friends would play every morning before school. Coach Dave can’t remember a time in his life when he wasn’t playing or coaching hockey. If you’re ever in the Winnipeg area stop by the old rink with your skates.
Nowadays Coach Dave’s a U.S. citizen based out of southern California. When he’s not watching, playing, or coaching hockey he enjoys being a handyman around the house and golfing. He is also an avid handgun shooter. Take him to the range and you’ll have a friend for life. He’s married and his son will be making his NHL debut in 2031.